Monday, February 25, 2013

Blog Review: Everyday I'm Pastorin'

There are two comments I get about public Christianity on a regular basis.

1. Where are all the progressive Christians?  Where are they talking, where are they sharing, where are they in my town, where are they on the internet?

2. Aren't there any Christians who have a sense of humor?  At all?

In the interests of addressing both questions at the same time, I'd suggest taking a look at this blog: Everday I'm Pastorin'....  Fair warning: this is actually a Tumblr account, and it is full of GIFs (or moving images).  As you might imagine from those two descriptors, it also isn't a place for deep and involved theological discussion.

There are plenty of places like that, and I'll be pointing them out soon enough.  But a lot of people asking me those two questions up there tend to sound kind of desperate, at wit's end, and very harried.  So frankly, I think I'll start off with a tension-breaker.

This blog is, as far as I can tell (I don't spend a lot of time on Tumblr) as anonymous as they can make it.  And while it isn't entirely aimed at laypeople, as the voice of it is definitely clergy-based, laypeople will certainly get the jokes.

What does this blog do?  It illustrates the point of view of progressive Christian clergy with GIFs.  Often of cats, or bits of scenes from geeky TV shows.  It's ecumenical, it's hilarious, and it's very much tongue-placed-firmly-in-cheek.

Because progressive Christians really are all around.  And we do know how to tell a joke, especially when it's about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment